A friend excused herself from the table, and I was sure it was so that she could get away from me, me and my smell of medieval death.

I distinctly remember the smell of a particular taxi from when I was in Manhattan a few years ago.

Unfortunately it was not exotic and evocative; it was simply the pungent odor of the driver, combined with a cheap cologne that was reminiscent of vinegar and not up to the task of disguising the smell.

He was a pleasant man, friendly and blessed with a warm voice, but the smell made me feel claustrophobic and vaguely suicidal.

I stopped my ride a few blocks short of my destination to escape his inversion layer, and found that I was sweating even though it was a cold evening in March. A sense of paranoia engulfed me: did I smell like that now? Was I marked?

Retrieving the hand sanitizer from my purse, I madly rubbed it into my skin like I was Lady Macbeth; I briefly considered ingesting it, thinking it might burn its way out of my strangled pores.

Meeting with friends, I spent the evening distracted and uneasy: could they smell it? Were they simply being polite and not telling me that I smelled like gypsy ass and cloves?

A friend excused herself from the table, and I was sure it was so that she could get away from me, me and my smell of medieval death.

I left the gathering early: I could not be in the moment when the moment smelled like this. Back in the hotel I took a long hot shower and used an entire travel bottle of shampoo. When I checked out for the airport in the morning I left those clothes of shame behind for the hotel to burn.

Comments

  1. I used to have the much the same problem till I found out that my "antiperspirant" was actually just deodorant. I smelled like pit-sweat and Brut for the longest time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment