Because royal weddings have a seed of a future Judy Garland in every beginning.

As a pre-postmodern feminist I was curious to see what Althouse (a post-premodern feminist) might right about the latest royal nuptials. You know: to see what the post-premodern feminist take on a fairytale would be.

And -- as I expected -- she did employ the contextual touch of referencing Harry's mother's wedding day:

"I just couldn't help thinking about Harry's mother and what I know about the thoughts that rushed through her head on that day that the world watched her bogus "fairytale" wedding..."

Of which the only qualm I have is the defining of the wedding as a "Bogus" fairytale.

I believe it was certainly a fairy tale wedding: she was becoming a princess, which is rather textbook as far as fairy tales go. And I believe the Nonambiguously Gay Duo of Tom and Lorezno would've commented in much the same manner to that particular event, because royal weddings have a seed of a future Judy Garland in every beginning.

No, the fairy tale is real, it just happens to only last as long as the wedding. Which is why many fairy tales ended with the Princess and her Prince coming together, and what comes after is but the words "happily ever after" -- which works pretty much along the lines of a young woman in a horror film saying 'I hear a noise. I am going to go into the basement alone to check it out."

But people like to believe that their own life is a fairy tale sometimes, and -- if things are good and you aren't eaten by the wolf -- there are certainly worse things to see your journey that way. To wit:

"Meade" is an aesthetically pleasing name, but "Ann Meade" is too plain, and Meade is Meade, not me. But I did feel that it would be a unique and thrilling expression of love to take the name!"

"What could I offer in return? Let's see - I could prune those redbuds, take out the garbage, trap squirrels....I could fetch her newspaper, scrape snow and ice off her car, shovel the front walk. Draw her bath. Pick her up at the airport. Rinse and dry her wine glasses..."

"It's my dear hope that endless numbers of bloggers and commenters will read and write their way to love..."

"If Meade and I were starting our lives together and in our 20s — a topic we've discussed many times — we would put a premium on love and beauty and on maximizing our free time... and our freedom generally..."

and:

"And, in the end, Good Husband was able to lure me away from the keyboard and let me continue the daily mad freedom of living in writing.."

LWL

Comments