Maybe the drawing would work better if he had a card saying 'PRESS" stuck in the hat band. It couldn't hurt.

I clicked over to Max Boot's Twitter feed to read a bit of the discussion there, and the discussion is very similar to the one happening here. Maybe one's more Coke than Pepsi, but both are colas. To all of this, I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said, and by people more knowledgable than me.

But I will say this: I assume Max Boot is a smug, narcissistic man who sees himself as a noble hero who has no patience for people who do not see him as a noble hero.

This I deduced from a cursory look at the image he selected to represent himself on his Twitter page.

Did the women in his life tell him this pencil sketch of himself in a coat and angled fedora made him look dashing and rugged? Because if they did then they lied, and that doesn't help anyone, even if it was to spare his feelings.

To begin, the sketch is much more D.B. Cooper than Humphrey Bogart. It doesn't even work as a boardwalk-artist nod to Bruce Willis. 

The sketch is the self-image of someone who believes that Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett would've written about him as a hero in one of their books, if they only knew him.  Unfortunately, he achieved over-easy with his egg, not hard-boiled.

He is so subpar B-actor serious in the picture that it makes me embarrassed for him, like when men wear cowboy hats when they really really shouldn't. And as I look at it I can't help but wonder if he somehow shaved off his right eyebrow: his left eyebrow is arched, while the right side of his forehead looks like it had a salon-fresh bikini wax.  

Maybe the drawing would work better if he had a card saying 'PRESS" stuck in the hat band. It couldn't hurt.

Comments