Okay: one time is perhaps an accident, two times means you want to watch your girlfriend urinating.

Weird Habits of Old Boyfriends.

When you get the time to know someone better you get to learn their quirks and peculiarities. When the relationship is good these quirks and peculiarities can have a special charm; when the quirks and peculiarities become creepy then you know the relationship isn't going to last. Unless you find creepy to be charming, which might work in some strange Willem Dafoe way. At least when Willem Dafoe isn't Bobby Peru.

(I am thinking of the sweet-and-sour of the word 'schadenfreude', so I Googled to find the German words for 'creepy' and 'charming': thus, charmantgruselig.)

I had a boyfriend who, after a few weeks of dating, walked into the bathroom while I was urinating. As a white Jewish woman, I found this to be uncomfortable. As a white Jewish woman, I don't like to be uncomfortable.

He quickly -- but not too quickly -- apologized. He said he didn't know I was in there, then exited the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

It was awkward for a few minutes afterward, but then we laughed about it: couples have their in-jokes, it is part of forming a bond, a shared history.

Except in-jokes usually stay between the people in on them; however, he proceeded to tell this story practically every time we got together with friends.

I told him that I was uncomfortable with him telling this story to other people, but he said I was being overly sensitive. So every time we were at a party I waited in trepidation for him telling the 'I-walked-in-on-Loren-peeing' story. And each time he told the story it would go longer and become more embroidered with detail: I got a sinking feeling that, soon, sound-effects would come into play.

Maybe a month later I am in the bathroom peeing, and the boyfriend walks in. Again. Okay: one time is perhaps an accident, two times means you want to watch your girlfriend urinating. And I did not want a boyfriend that wanted to watch me urinate.

When you begin to feel like you need to lock the bathroom door when the only people home are you and your boyfriend then creepiness is decidedly a factor.

As a white Jewish woman I don't believe this has anything to do with me being white or Jewish.

Comments