They were like mosquitoes, drawn to sweet, sweet 'cootie' juice.

I don't know about the racism, but when I was a young girl the little boys certainly were misogynist.

They were all steadfast in the belief that the female would only contaminate their manhood.

That, with but a brief touch from a young girl, they would get 'cooties', an irreversible disease which would bring them great shame and weakness.

I did not realize until I got older that some of my strength as a woman derived from these same 'cooties'.

Once young boys became men they could become frenzied in their desire to contract 'cooties' from a woman. Or at least to engage with women in the activities that would seem to transmit 'cooties' to them. 

They were like mosquitoes, drawn to sweet, sweet 'cootie' juice.

Not coincidentally, one of my ex-boyfriends in college stole two pairs of my panties from the laundry.

-LWL

Comments